It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 12:49 pm

All times are [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: My Language Skills
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:47 am 
Site Admin

My Capacity for Languages

I would also like to clarify the remark that I "speak 10 languages" and other references to my linguistic skills. I do not speak all these languages. More accurately, I can speak, read and/or write to varying degrees modern Greek, French, Spanish, Italian, German, ancient Greek, Latin, Portuguese and a smattering of other Romance languages, such as Romanian, as well as bits of Sanskrit, Hebrew, Egyptian, Coptic and other languages as I come across them.

I studied French, Spanish, Italian, German, Latin and ancient Greek formally, and taught myself modern Greek, which I speak better than the rest because I spent the most amount of time in Greece. When I was in France, I could speak French fairly well, and I read French the best of these languages. I read Spanish second best, and speak it fairly well when I've been immersed in it for a certain period of time. Ditto with Italian and German.

If you were to walk up to me and speak to me in Portuguese, I would not be able to answer you, although I may understand bits and pieces. I can only read Portuguese, as I have never studied it formally, and, since I learned it on the spot as I was translating an essay into it, I would need to use a dictionary and grammar book in order to read it very well.

If I had the time, I would love to learn all the world's languages. If anyone has an immortality pill, please send it to me. :shock:

* Added edit by FTL: In Acharya's book, Did Moses Exist? The Myth of the Israelite Lawgiver she "discusses texts and words in Akkadian, Arabic, Assyrian, Babylonian, Canaanite, Phoenician, Ugaritic and other Semitic languages, along with Egyptian, Sumerian, Vedic and Sanskrit."

What Are Acharya's Credentials?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

What about the issue of Hinduism & Krishna?

Quote:
"One thing I note about the academics and experts on the subject of Krishna, for example, is that they almost exclusively rely on mainstream texts that are readily available in their libraries and have been on curricula for decades or centuries. They seldom seem to know about the more esoteric texts, such as those that spurred the Asiatic Researches volumes compiled by Sir William Jones; or the travel accounts of Abbe Huc, who was excommunicated from the Catholic Church because of his discoveries regarding the startling similarities between the religion and story of Jesus and those of gods in the East; or the work of Edward Moor, who likewise discovered some parallels hidden from vulgar view between Krishna or other Indian gods and Jesus Christ; or that of Godfrey Higgins, who was a magistrate in Indian and who was allowed into the inner workings of the Hindu priesthood.

I am not particularly impressed by the mainstream scholars who merely parrot the approved texts, many of which were handed to the Western world by the Hindu priesthood expressly in order to prevent outsiders from knowing about more esoteric traditions, which are unknown to the rank-and-file Hindu believers as well. When academic experts on the Krishna material expound upon various characteristics attributed to him, they give the impression that we are discussing a monolithic entity who really and truly walked the earth and has a strict and factual biography. In my studied opinion, Krishna was not a real person with a factual biography set in stone.

I realize I risk the wrath here of both scholars and Hindu fanatics, but I am not about to go on record stating that I believe that an Indian incarnation of the god Vishnu with blue skin, as fantastically depicted in the Mahabharata and elsewhere, was a "real person." It must be constantly kept in mind that the stories about Krishna were not written down all at once, shortly after he purportedly existed. The Mahabharata, for instance, is a composite text passed along orally for centuries and written down in sections much later by a wide variety of hands separated by hundreds of years and well into the common era. Nor are the story and character of "Krishna" considered to be exactly the same in various parts and eras of India; indeed, while Krishna is a god and hero in many parts of India, he is considered an "impious wretch" in others. When the subject is studied in depth, it becomes evident that we are talking about a mythical, composite character much the same as I aver Jesus to be. Hence, it is quite misleading to state definitively what exactly Krishna's story and characteristics have been - they have changed and mutated from era to era and place to place, precisely as happened with the tales of Christ, as related in not only the gospels but also the apocrypha such as the Infancy Gospel of Thomas. When all the exoteric (New Testament) and esoteric (apocryphal) texts about Jesus are factored together, do we have a uniform, set-in-stone story of Christ, with no discrepancies and all voices about him concurring in every detail? The answer to that question is NO. The same can and should be said of Krishna, as well as Buddha.

Hence, the point about this expert or that making definitive statements about Krishna, as if he and he alone possesses the entire truth about the subject, is moot. In addition to the arguments already provided, I submit that much data about Krishna is not only held back by the current and past authorities of Hinduism, but is also LOST and unknown to them, comprising both written material and numerous oral traditions passed by countless priesthoods around the populous Indian subcontinent for centuries to millennia. As another point, there are purportedly some 10,000 ancient texts in a variety of Indian languages that have not even been translated - what could these texts contain, characteristics and doctrines of the Indian religions previously unknown to experts and authorities? The chance is quite likely.

For more on this fascinating subject, including responses to the criticisms of "Christ Conspiracy" that evangelists and scholars alike rehash, please see my book "Suns of God."
- Acharya

"Suns of God: Krishna, Buddha and Christ Unveiled"
http://www.truthbeknown.com/sunsofgod.htm

:wink:

Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection
2015 Astrotheology Calendar
Astrotheology Calendar Special
Stellar House Publishing at Youtube
The Mythicist Position

Post subject: Krishna's Birthday
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Krishna's Birthday

Over the years since I've been online and since Christ Con was published, much has been bandied about regarding the purported parallels between Christ and Krishna. When I wrote Christ Con, I was well aware that the typical encyclopedia entries and the mainstream texts regarding Krishna did not contain various aspects of his alleged life that others had claimed were indeed characteristics. In other words, I already knew the mainstream, orthodox perspective of Krishna's life long before I wrote The Christ Conspiracy. When I wrote Christ Con, I decided to include the controversial aspects asserted by non-mainstream sources in order to stir thoughtful debate.

Of course, these few characteristics were glommed onto all over the net beginning many years ago, leading me to write an entire book Suns of God: Krishna, Buddha and Christ in order to address them. As the title may suggest, I do a fairly comprehensive exploration of various aspects of the lives of these godmen, including the alleged dates of their births. In fact, there is an entire chapter in Suns of God entitled "Krishna's Birthdate," which is 17 pages long. In that chapter, I investigate where the assertion came from that Krishna was born on December 25th, as well as showing that, like Christ and Buddha, Krishna's birthday has been placed all over the calendar, largely if not entirely based on atsrotheological considerations.

In tracing the origins of the claim that Krishna was born on December 25th, I did evolve an argument that could have led some to come to such a conclusion, although this birthdate is by no means asserted within mainstream, orthodox "Hinduism," and the most common times celebrated for the nativity of Krishna occur during the summer months, i.e., July and August.

As I also explain in Suns of God, the issue of defining Hinduism is in itself a difficult one, as there is in reality no such monolithic concept. "Hinduism" is composed of numerous sects spread over a vast territory, with some extending branches back into the hoary mists of time, while others are much more recent. As such, there is no one set-in-stone biography of its various gods. In fact, in some places in India, Krishna is not even considered to be a god but a demon! Moreover, the idea that "Krishna" represents a real person who was born in one time and place is extremely sketchy to say the least - that "Krishna" is a mythical entity is another point I set out to demonstrate in Suns of God.

Hence, there is no set-in-stone birthdate for Krishna, and, interestingly, it is likely that the December 25th birthday comes from the "sleep and rise of Vishnu," the god of whom Krishna was said to be an incarnation. In the Vishnaiva mythology, Vishnu - largely a SUN god - is said to go to Sleep and to "rise" again, "coincidentally" the latter at the WINTER SOLSTICE. Hence, it would not be untruthful to say that Vishnu was "born" at the winter solstice; nor would it be outrageous to assert that Vishnu's incarnation Krishna - likewise a solar hero, I contend - was also born at that time. In any event, I make no firm conclusion as to whether or not "Krishna" was ever asserted at any point by any individual or group of his followers - of which the variety is fairly enormous - to have been born at the winter solstice. Morever, in Suns of God I emphasized that within Hinduism, as in any large religious ideology of any antiquity, there are various EXOTERIC doctrines that are not widely known to the masses. Thus, the mainstream perspective is not all-encompassing by any stretch of the imagination.

Regardless of the details, what I am attempting to trace and demonstrate is the general pattern of astrotheology and solar mythology found around the world, based on observations of the cycles of nature and the planetary bodies. As a heavily solar culture, it is evident that India would be well aware of the various movements and cycles of the sun - and would incorporate these important milestones into its religions and holidays.

Interested parties may wish to read Suns of God.

For more on the debate about Krishna, please also see these threads:

A Debate about Horus, Krishna
Krishna Crucified?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

For Further Information

For all topics relating to comparative mythology, be sure also to read the various threads and posts in the Comparative Religion and Mythology Forum.

In addition to my books, there are also many articles in my "Christ Conspiracy Anthology" online.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

"Acharya's work is not scholarly."

This assertion generally comes from people who do not know my work but who are offended that I dare point out the Emperor's transparent nakedness: To wit, that there is no credible, valid scientific evidence that the fantastic gospel character named "Jesus Christ" ever existed, and that his alleged life possesses the same mythical air as that of many other gods of a wide variety of cultures, including the Greek god Hercules, as but one example.

For the most part, my critics do not know much if anything about my actual work, but they become outraged that I dare to suggest that their imaginary friend may well be that - imaginary - and that I myself do not readily and without proof believe in a Jewish guy floating around omnipresently in the sky. Most people who have actually studied my work, both in my books and online, will recognize that it is in fact quite scholarly, but that it is also readily accessible. Works that are too scholarly are entirely useless to the average person, and I am trying to reach a large amount of people, not pander to the relatively few academics, trying to impress them with my vast erudition. There are many highly scholarly works that simply sit on bookshelves and are never read - and that was the whole problem with the Christ-myth and comparative religion material. It simply wasn't being read and absorbed by the masses. In that sense, I write for the popular audience. But the idea that my work is "not scholarly" constitutes an ad hominem attack, pure and simple. One glance at my book Suns of God in particular will prove my assertion regarding the scholarly nature of my work.

In Suns of God, not only did I utilize many mainstream and authoritative sources, but I also delved into numerous languages that most of my critics cannot begin to access, including Greek, Latin, Egyptian, Hebrew and Sanskrit. In fact, judging from their dishonest assertions and assessments, I might wager that much of my work is TOO SCHOLARLY for my critics and will go over their heads. Suns of God, for instance, is not light reading.

The attack on my work that it is "not scholarly" represents a fallacious and mendacious ad hom typically used to prevent others from reading it. It is false, period.

For further evidence of my scholarship, please see the excerpts from Suns of God, including the entire Bibliography, posted online here:

Please also see the Christ Conspiracy Anthology of articles posted here:

http://www.truthbeknown.com/christconspiracy.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:31 am 
Site Admin

The Use of 19th Century Writings

I wanted to add to the rebuttal of the criticism of my use of writers from the 19th century. In addition to the fact that, in reality, I have studied and utilized material from the earliest times onward, one of the reasons why some of the best research and writing on the subject definitely emanated from the 18th and 19th centuries is because that was when much archaeological investigation began to be accomplished, as well as the expansion of the English-speaking empire into the rest of the world, opening up a vast array of new data.

When discussing, for instance, the Egyptian mythology as put forth by Gerald Massey, it is imperative to keep in mind that until the discovery of the Rosetta Stone by Napoleon's troops in 1799 and the subsequent translation of such by Champollion in 1822, no one could read Egyptian hieroglyphs! So, at that point, a huge amount of data previously undeciphered and unknown finally became available. To recap, before 1822 no one could read Egyptian hieroglyphs, so how would all these details come out before Massey? Sure, there were texts around in other languages, but not many, because CHRISTIANS had destroyed so much of the evidence. But, as Massey points out, where Christians were unable to destroy the hieroglyphs, they covered them up in stucco, preserving them for when the Rosetta Stone was discovered and deciphered.

We are fortunate that the 19th-century writer Gerald Massey recognized the importance and profundity of the Egyptian writings, as did E.A. Wallis Budge, a devout CHRISTIAN - and yet another writer in the 19th century - who nonetheless was floored by the similarities between the Egyptian and Christian religions, so much so that his translations are in the same pious language used for the Bible.

I don't know how we can prove Gerald Massey's case anymore than he did, with such brilliance and eloquence as to escape the average mind. I can only relish his work and state that it will likely always go over the heads of the masses, such that they will continue to toss out mindless ad homs based on ignorance or inability to comprehend.

In the meantime, please do enjoy the writings of the 19th century - a true Age of Enlightenment. See, e.g., this writing of Massey on the "crucifixion" of Horus between two "thieves."

For more information go here

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

Has Gerald Massey Been Refuted?

Interestingly, in consideration of the posts regarding Massey above, I have recently received the following message, which prompts me to write this defense of this brilliant and erudite scholar. The debate evidenced below is quite typical of what is happening all over the net with dishonest Christian apologists and detractors.

Quote:
Acharya, I think you are brilliant and I love your website! It saved my life!

I'm starting to read a lot of books refuting Christianity as part of my healing process and am working my way through your references and others and I was wondering if you could comment on a reviewer's comments about Gerald Massey's book, The Historical Jesus and the Mythical Christ. Could you briefly comment on whether any of Massey's information has been refuted? Here's what that reviewer said (I have no idea where he got his information from).

Quote:
This book was part of what came to be known as the "History of Religions" school in biblical scholarship. It was a theory that Christianity borrowed from ancient pagan religions. This theory flourished for a few decades before it was put to death by thousands of scholars doing research. Not to mention archaeological discoveries that proved much of the claims to be bogus. The author, Massey, was born in 1828, to give you an idea of just how long ago all this was.

The theory is now so dead that not a single biblical scholar, atheist or not, will touch it. Anyone interested in the "History of Religions" should read "The Gospel and the Greeks" by Nash, a fine summation of what modern scholarship has revealed.

It is embarrassing that this book is being reissued. Apparently the publisher believes there's one born every minute, since the information in the book is utterly refuted. If you have any questions about just how well refuted it all is, check out the "History of Religions" theory in any library.

These remarks by an obvious Christian apologist constitute absolute nonsense - "embarassing," indeed. This "review" is more rubbish from the "Nevermind" person on Amazon, the same individual who has been attacking me and others in the mythicist school with nonsensical "reviews" that clearly demonstrate s/he has not read the works in question. My message-writer above also comments with dismay about the obvious dishonesty with which Christian apologists operate - this aptly named "Nevermind" person is one of these dishonest offenders.

Obviously, all of these detractors need to be pressed as to whether or not they have actually read and studied the works of the scholars they are ignorantly disparaging. It is the mark of a very lazy intellect to mindlessly repeat arguments such as the one above, without having investigated the matter oneself by actually reading the work in question, but since Christians are taught to surrender their will and intellect to Jesus and his priests and pastors, they quite easily do likewise when it comes to challenging matters.

Moreover, if this critic and the other detractors making such silly claims were actually to study the works of the highly intelligent Gerald Massey, I would wager they could not even comprehend every other word. These uneducated individuals would frankly be hard-pressed to understand even his overall theses.

Furthermore, this person needs to be challenged as to whether or not s/he has actually read Ronald Nash's book, because I have read his book, and I can state that Nash does not deal with Gerald Massey or Egypt at all. Nash's very shallow arguments are mainly confined to Greek philosophy, and his conclusion that Plato and Aristotle had no impact upon Christianity is simply absurd. Ronald Nash and his supporters are Christian apologists and fundamentalists; as such, their opinions are hardly unbiased.

Moreover, the assertion that "not a single biblical scholar" will touch Massey is absurd. Tom Harpur, for one, is most definitely a biblical scholar, and he certainly endorses Massey. Naturally, the harpur-ies have attacked him relentlessly, but they have not proved Massey wrong. Most of the biblical scholars are completely unaware of Gerald Massey and, in fact, know next to nothing about mythology in the first place. Most biblical scholars are therefore entirely unqualified to be making commentary or judgment about Gerald Massey's work at all.

Nor have any unnamed "archaeological discoveries" disproved the History of Religions School. Pray tell, where are these mysterious discoveries? Name them, please, and how they have debunked the extensive work of Gerald Massey.

Interestingly, detractors constantly require extraordinary proof with comparative religion and mythology, but they need NO credible and valid scientific proof to uphold their own faith. Nor do they feel the need to back up their claims such as above regarding "archaeological discoveries." Also, this person makes much of the fact that Massey wrote "long ago." And precisely how long ago was the New Testament written?

In addition, this person makes libelous remarks about the publisher of this addition, Paul Tice, whom I happen to know and who is certainly not out to "sucker" anyone. No comment, of course, is made as to the absolute pabulum put out repeatedly in the name of Jesus Christ, including the New Testament itself, which makes ridiculous claims that we are supposedly to blindly believe with no credible, scientific and valid evidence. Talk about suckers!

Christian hypocrite, step out of the glass house when you throw your stones! :evil:

When Christian apologists and other detractors actually study the works of the brilliant and erudite Gerald Massey - and can prove their study with intelligent remarks and, if possible, refutations - then I will take notice of their opinions. Until then, not.

Who Is Gerald Massey?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

"Horus Between Two Thieves" and the Works of Gerald Massey

Much is made about the numerous correspondences determined by Gerald Massey between Horus and Jesus. Albert Churchward, inspired by Massey, repeated many of these correspondences and - voila! - today we have them zinging around the net at breakneck speed. Naturally, these numerous correspondences draw the wrath of Christian apologists and detractors, as they have since they were first published in the late 19th century.

I make no apology for using the works of Gerald Massey, who was an absolutely brilliant man and whose writings are so erudite as to be inaccessible to the masses, including many of his detractors. As is so typical, these critics, it must be emphasized, have not even studied his works but have mindlessly and dishonestly dismissed Massey with all sorts of untoward epithets that reflect more about the detractor than they do about Massey.

In order to intelligently judge this subject, one needs to keep in mind that prior to the discovery of the Rosetta Stone by Napoleon's troops in 1799 and its decipherment in 1822 by Champollion, Egyptian hieroglyphs were not translatable, and relatively little was known about the Egyptian religion. Hence, no work such as Massey's could have been produced prior to the 19th century, and the Egyptian religion is so complicated as to still be vastly misunderstood. From what I have studied of the subject, Gerald Massey has a more profound understanding of the spirituality and astrotheology being conveyed by the Egyptians than any other person who has worked on the subject. Although the famed Christian Egyptologist E.A. Wallis Budge has come under fire from the same type of unreasonable ignoramuses who do not want to admit any parallels between Christianity and the Egyptian religion, Budge too had a fine grasp of the spirituality behind said faith, and conveyed it in spiritual terms usually reserved - in a move that is completely culturally biased - for the Bible.

In any event, as to these various correspondences by Jesus and Horus, including the motif of Horus being "crucified between two thieves," one would actually need to study the works of Gerald Massey in order to make intelligent comment on them. Merely scoffing and waving them away is not impressive, particularly since Massey utilized a vast array of sources, including the Egyptian Book of the Dead and the Zodiac of Denderah, as well as Budge's works and those of many other scholars. Massey also possessed a stunning grasp of a wide variety of disciplines, including linguistics, mythology and totemism. Until Massey's critics attain to a comparable level of erudition, their opinions are irrelevant.

In studying his works, then, we find many good reasons to accept Massey's interpretations of the difficult hieroglyphs and the profound spiritual and theological concepts they evidently convey. If, like Massey, we have a deep grasp of the astrotheological concepts that naturally developed in the ancient world based on their observations of nature, many of these correspondences become doubly sensible and meaningful. When studying Massey's interpretations of the Egyptian scriptures and the spiritual concepts they apparently convey, then, we will need to keep in mind his penetrating understanding of astrotheology, as he himself is obviously constantly aware of the astrotheological motifs of the priestly creators of the Egyptian religion. I for one see that Massey's interpretations, while likely not provable in every detail, are sound in being based on the important science of astrotheology, especially as concerns Egyptian religion.

Like the Egyptian masses, no doubt, the astrotheological meanings behind Christianity will also be lost on the majority of its adherents. Without utilizing Massey at all, I do believe that in Suns of God I made a very strong case demonstrating that astrotheology has indeed been the main motivating factor behind major religious myths and rituals the world over. This fact of an astrotheological foundation for major religious myths and rituals - so brilliantly discerned by Gerald Massey, who was far ahead of his time - is being proved on a nearly daily basis by numerous archaeological discoveries around the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:20 am 
Site Admin

What is Astrotheology and Archaeoastronomy?

Quote:
Astrotheology: "Theology founded on observation or knowledge of the celestial bodies."
i.e the sun, moon, planets, stars, constellations etc.
Quote:
Archaeoastronomy: "The study of the knowledge, interpretations, and practices of ancient cultures regarding celestial objects or phenomena. The branch of archaeology that deals with the apparent use by prehistoric civilizations of astronomical techniques to establish the seasons or the cycle of the year, esp. as evidenced in the construction of megaliths and other ritual structures."

Some examples:

Astrotheology of the Ancients

Evemerist vs. Mythicist Position

The Solstice Project - Sun Dagger

National Geographic's "Ancient Astronomers"

National Geographic's "Nebra Sky Disc"

Archaeoastronomy Links Stone-Age Tomb Builders With Sun

Winter solstice sunrise in Newgrange 3600-3100 BC

Archaeoastronomy

Ancient Observatories Found Worldwide

Archaeoastronomy

List of archaeoastronomical sites by country

Ancient astronomy

Center for Archaeoastronomy

These concepts are nothing new:

"Now when the ancient Egyptians, awestruck and wondering, turned their eyes to the heavens, they concluded that two gods, the sun and the moon, were primeval and eternal; and they called the former Osiris, the latter Isis..."
- Diodorus Siculus (90-21 BCE), Greek Historian,
"Suns of God" 89

Early Church Father Tertullian (160-220 C.E.), an "ex-Pagan" and Bishop of Carthage, ironically admits the true origins of the Christ story and of all other such godmen by stating in refutation of his critics, "You say we worship the sun; so do you."
(paraphrase from the Catholic Encyclopedia)
- "Christ Conspiracy" 158

"...All the gods of the Greek and Roman mythology represent the attributes of the one supreme divine power - the SUN."
- Macrobius Roman scholar around 400ce
"Suns of God" 67-68
Quote:
Archaeoastronomy in Egypt:

"The ancient Egyptian religion is a sun-based religion and the yearly cycle of the stars was very important for them to calculate their calender. It would be surprising if there was no an alignment with certain celestial phenomena. However, archaeoastronomy is not an established science working hand in hand with archaeology in much of Mespotamia and Egypt. There are several reasons for this:

"The problem is that until recently hardly any research was done in that area: Egyptologists are no astronomers, and calculations in that field are extremely complex. This was taken for granted, but not a field of research. So nothing to much 'scientific' can be said, simply because of lack of data. That is something else than saying Egyptologists dismiss celestial alignments: they simply never looked into it. That is the disadvantage of a rich culture like that of the Egyptians: one can't do everything."
- Paul Haanen
Archaeologist in Egypt

Acharya S is an independent scholar of comparative religion and mythology, specializing in astrotheological studies with a keen interest in archaeoastronomy. Acharya S examines the connections between modern religious belief and our ancient veneration for the sun, moon and other natural phenomena.

Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection
2015 Astrotheology Calendar
Astrotheology Calendar Special
Stellar House Publishing at Youtube
The Mythicist Position

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Horus Characteristics Found in the Zeitgeist Movie

As we know, the Zeitgeist movie has stirred up quite a debate on the net, filled with the usual fallacies regarding my work vis-a-vis the claims made in the movie. One of these erroneous claims is that I do not cite my sources, an assertion that can only be made by those who have not actually read my work, such that, once again, they cannot be deemed experts thereon. They may raise up one or two articles online, such as "The Origins of Christianity," which does not contain footnotes on every sentence, because these are generally to found in The Christ Conspiracy. I need not say that no author should be expected to reproduce his or her entire body of work online to satisfy those who are unwilling to do the research themselves.

As concerns the claims regarding Horus found in Zeitgeist, I need not reproduce all of the citations here either, since the movie's creator, Peter J., has done a fine job - albeit a difficult-to-read one, with the black background and white writing - in his "Interactive Transcript."

In that transcript, PJ uses not only footnotes for each relevant claim but also provides some clarifying text, citing the sources.

Quote:
This is Horus.[M] He is the Sun God of Egypt of around 3000 BC [S8] [D]. He is the sun, anthropomorphized, and his life is a series of allegorical myths involving the sun's movement in the sky. [S9] [S10] [M] From the ancient hieroglyphics in Egypt, we know much about this solar messiah. For instance, Horus, being the sun, or the light, had an enemy known as Set and Set [D] was the personification of the darkness or night .[M] [S11] And, metaphorically speaking, every morning Horus would win the battle against Set - while in the evening, Set would conquer Horus and send him into the underworld. [S12] [S13] It is important to note that "dark vs. light" or "good vs. evil" is one of the most ubiquitous mythological dualities ever known and is still expressed on many levels to this day.

Broadly speaking, the story of Horus is as follows: Horus was born on December 25th [S14] [S15] of the virgin Isis-Meri.[S16] [S17] [S18] [D] [M] His birth was accompanied by a star in the east [S19], which in turn, three kings followed to locate and adorn the new-born savior [M] [S20] [S21] At the age of 12, he was a prodigal child teacher, and at the age of 30 [S22] [S23] he was baptized by a figure known as Anup [M] and thus began his ministry[S24] [M]. Horus had 12 disciples[S25] he traveled about with, performing miracles[S26] [S27]such as healing the sick[S28] and walking on water[S29]. Horus was known by many gestural names such as The Truth, The Light, God's Annointed Son, The Good Shepherd, The Lamb of God, and many others[S30] [S31]. After being betrayed by Typhon[S32], Horus was crucified[S33] [S34], buried for 3 days[S35], and thus, resurrected.[S36] [S37] [M].

As you will see, I did not originate any of the germane characteristics. One of PJ's principle sources is Gerald Massey, to which the critics' attention may be directed.

When reading this type of synopsis of the myth of Horus, one needs to keep in mind that it is the contention of those who claim Jesus to be a mythical construct that bits and pieces of the myths of these various other gods were pulled out of context and woven together to create the gospel story. One does not find, for instance, this tale as above outlined in an ancient Egyptian encyclopedia. Those who have been attempting to explain the creation of the Christ myth have been back-engineering the story. In other words, in explaining the various mythical motifs utilized in the gospel story, some have retold the story utilizing the original god or gods, in a gospel-like manner.

Let us take some examples. When it is said in the paragraph above from ZG that Horus was "crucified," it was not part of his myth that he was held down and nailed to a cross. Rather, Horus is depicted in cruciform, with his arms outstretched, as we find in images, and as Egyptologist James Bonwick says, "With outstretched arms he is the vault of heaven." (Egyptian Belief and Modern Thought, p. 157) What comparative mythologists and Jesus mythicists are claiming is that these various mythical motifs already in existence as being revered long prior to the Christian era, such as the god with outstretched arms, were utilized in the weaving of the Christ myth . We are not necessarily stating that the Christians took an already fully formed myth and simply scratched out Horus's name and wrote in Jesus. There is no doubt that these mythical motifs were combined with Jewish scriptures, rendering a unique telling of the tale in the gospel story. However, the preceding mythical motifs remain and are real, and were commonly known enough prior to the creation of the Christ myth that they were quite likely utilized therein.

It is a bit misleading, therefore, to say that Horus was "crucified," as the word "crucified" invokes the image of a man being held down and nailed to a cross. However, one could say of the "God Sun" that "he" was crossified, at the vernal equinoxes - and that motif, we contend, is at the basis of the gospel "crucifixion."

Although not found in Zeitgeist, the same can be said of the "two thieves" motif not only in the gospel story but, oddly, in images of the Aztec god Quetzalcoatl, as interpreted by Lord Kingsborough in his monumental study Antiquities of the Mexicans, which I quote in significant part in Suns of God. (Anyone interested in this subject matter is highly encouraged to obtain and read my book.) Concerning this "two thieves" motif in the Horus myth, Gerald Massey says the following.

Quote:
And in the zodiac of Denderah, just where Horus is on the cross, or at the crossing of the vernal equinox, these two thieves, Sut-Anup and Aan, are depicted one on either side of the luni-solar god. These two mythical originals have, I think, been continued and humanised as the two thieves in the Gospel version of the crucifixion. (Luniolatry: Ancient and Modern)

...Two other lunar types were Anup, the jackal, and Aan, the dog-headed ap. These two may be sseen figured back to back at the place of the Vernal equinox in the zodiac of Denderah. Each of the two had represented the dark half of the lunation (the one with Horus, the other with Taht) in two different stages of the mythos; each had been the thief of the light; the Mercury who was the thief personified. In these two thieves at the crossing we may perhaps identify the two thieves at the cross, as Horus, the solar lord of light in the moon - in the form of his hawk - is placed between or just over these two thieves at the crossing, the station of the cross! The birthplace of the god who was reborn or who rose again at the Vernal equinox is show by the constellation of the Thigh or Uterus. Anup on one side of horus, and Aan on the other, are the two thieves on eitehr hand of the Kamite [Egyptian] Christ upon the cross at Easter. The Historical Jesus and the Mythical Christ, pp. 116-117

Note that in his depiction of "Horus on the cross," Massey did not say that Horus was thrown down to the ground and nailed to a wooden cross. Again, what we find are ancient depictions of the god in cruciform, with arms outstretched such that his body forms a cross. In some instances, however, the god was attached to a cross of some sort. In any event, what we find in pre-Christian times is a reverence for the image of a god or goddess in the form of a cross - and that is the germane point.

Likewise, as I point out in Suns of God, pp. 269, et seq., the "thieves" part of the astrotheological mythology relates to the nightly stars, which were perceived to "rob" the light of the sun. Recognizing this motif in solar mythology, Massey has attempted to explain the presence in Egyptian art of two of these "night-sky" or "lunar" thieves as surrounding the soli-lunar Horus.

Regarding the solar motifs of the "crucifixion" and "two thieves," in Suns of God I write:

Quote:
In the solar mythology, the sun god is regularly "crucified" as he crosses over the equinoxes and when he wanes towards the end of the year. The "thieves" denote stars, or constellations/signs of the zodiac, in particular Sagittarius and Capricorn, which, as the winter descends, steal the sun's strength.

Rather than simply debunking the motifs because of the way they are reconfigured within Christianity, critics need to recognize that these motifs existed, that they were revered in the ancient world, particularly by the priesthoods that created such myths, and that anyone wishing to enter the profitable religion business would need to incorporate them into their myths, as we contend was done with the gospel story.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

Horus and Anup the Baptizer

Quote:
"The Christian Trinity ousted the old triads of gods, Osiris and Horus were represented by our Lord Jesus Christ, Isis by the Virgin Mary, Set the god of evil by Diabolus [Satan]...and the various Companies of the Gods by the Archangels, and so on."

E.A. Wallis Budge, Egyptian Tales and Romances (12)

The claim that John the Baptist is a mythical motif essentially the same in significant aspects as "Anup the Baptizer" in the Egyptian mythology emanates from Gerald Massey. However, Massey himself did not make up this contention; he merely highlighted the connection between the Egyptian and Christian religions, utilizing "Christian" terminology to describe what he found in the ancient Egyptian texts and monuments.

It should not need to be explained that the term "Anup the Baptizer" does not appear in pristine English in any ancient Egyptian text. The English language did not even exist at the time. This phrase constitutes an extrapolation regarding a duty held by the Egyptian god Anubis, which was to "baptize" or "purify" Horus in the "divine pool." When analyzing this situation, it is critical that we keep in mind the context in which the Egyptian religion was largely changed into Christianity. Anubis was one of the most popular gods of the Roman Empire at the time Christianity was beginning to be formed. The creators of Christianity were quite aware of the various popular gods around them, and they knew well that in order to usurp the followers of these gods' religions, they would have to incorporate many of their aspects, attributes and rituals into Christianity. This usurpation - which is a common characteristic of the priesthoods developed over a period of thousands of years - revolved significantly around the Egyptians deities Osiris, Isis, Horus, Anubis and others, although these four certainly were major players in the forefront of the religious mind of the time. As such, we would expect to find them prominently represented in a serious religious movement of the day. Indeed, we can readily detect in the composite figure of Osiris/Horus the character of Jesus Christ, and in the figure of Isis - identified with the VIRGIN MOTHER Neith - the character of the Virgin Mary. It is preposterous to suggest that the creators of Christianity were completely oblivious to these figures, Osiris being one of the most popular gods in human history and especially all around the Mediterranean at that time. Moreover, Osiris was the LORD OF THE RESURRECTION - are we truly supposed to believe that any educated person could not see the similarities between the Egyptian godman and Jewish one? Especially in light of the fact that there were many thousands of Jews, Hebrews and Israelites in Egypt, dating centuries prior to the Christian era?

Thus, I state definitively that in order to comprehend how the Egyptian religion - and others - influenced Christianity, we need to have a strong understanding of the milieu and the context in which Christianity sprang up. Without such an understanding and such knowledge, one will not be able to comprehend - indeed, one will likely become hostile and belligerent, if past experience is any indicator - how the Egyptian religion became Christianized. In other words, the general ignorance of the environment and atmosphere of the era is a major factor in the objections of detractors.

While I cannot go into great detail here, let us proceed with one brief analysis of how Anubis was apparently morphed in the fictional character of "John the Baptist," who is in reality a composite figure of not only Anubis but also Oannes, the Babylonian water god. (For more information on that subject, please see my book Suns of God.)

"Anup" is another name for Anubis. In chapter 97/XCVII of the Egyptian Book of the Dead we find the following:

Quote:
Said at the Bark: Staff of Anubis, may I propitiate those four Glorified ones who follow after the Master of [all] things.

I am the Master of the champaign at their behest, and I am the Father of the Inundation, when he who hath charge of the canals is athirst.

Look therefore upon me, oh ye great and mighty gods, who are foremost among the Spirits of Annu; let me be exalted in your presence. I am a well-doer towards you. Lo I come, that I may purify this Soul of mine in the most high degree; let not that impediment proceeding from your mouth be issued against me which giveth one over to ruin: let me be purified in the lake of propitiation and of equipoise: let me plunge into the divine pool beneath the two divine sycamores of Heaven and Earth.

Now let my Fold be fitted for me as one victorious against all adversaries who would not that right should be done to me.

I am the Only one; just and true upon the Earth. It is I who say it.

(The Egyptian Book of the Dead, p. 165, tr. by Peter Le Page Renouf, Society of Biblical Archaeology, 1904)

Here Horus is approaching the "staff of Anubis" at the boat, asking for purification and exaltation in the "lake of propitiation" and "divine pool."

It is evident why Massey made the connection between Horus approaching Anubis/Anup for water purification and Jesus approaching John for baptism. There are other characteristics of Anubis that factor into this comparison which I will be exploring in more detail in my upcoming Companion Guide to ZEITGEIST, Part 1.

Here is another response on this subject:

Quote:
Thanks, FTL, for all the hard work you've done here!

I wanted to provide another example a classic tactic used to spread misinformation in order to debunk my work. Frequently when a person making erroneous claims is shown to be in error, he or she usually ignores the correction, does not honestly admit that he or she did not know the material in question in the first place, and goes right on to repeat the same erroneous claims. You can see this type of exchange in the following email exchange between a critic and a defender of mine concerning the assertions regarding the purported "crucifixion" of the Egyptian god Horus. The "him" is the critic, while the "me" is the defender.

Quote:
Him: Anup only existed in the mind of Kersey Graves. This is where the whole Horus vs. Christ thing fell apart for me. I have spent a great deal of time trying to find any source that there was a 'Anup the Baptizer' mentioned anywhere that did not trace back to Graves.

Me: Acharya S. whom is extremely qualified, speak 10 languages, has traveled the world researching this- up close and in person. Does her own research. Is a renowned author, etc etc very reliable source. is where you should be looking for info on anup.

Him: Acharya's only source for Anup is Graves. I would think Anup the Baptizer would show up in the heiroglyphic record somewhere but he does not. I have heared that Graves twisted the name Anubis into anup to create this Baptizer. But we all know that it would be ridiculous to compare John the Baptist with Anubis right?

Me: I dont think that is correct, but I will ask her myself. It's ridiculous, in my opinion, to think baptism by water only began 2000 yrs ago, with people that there is no evidence whatsoever that they even existed in the first place.

My initial response to this debate is as follows:

Quote:
As we have come to expect from Christian defenders and others, this person doesn't know what he is talking about. "Anup" is an old Egyptian god, a shortened form of "Anubis," a fact one can easily find on the internet. Kersey Graves has nothing to do with Anup. The moniker "Anup the Baptizer" comes mainly from Gerald Massey and Albert Churchward, not from Kersey Graves at all. One would need to study the works of Gerald Massey for that part of the mythos. We know that baptism did not start only 2,000 years ago, as stated even by the Catholic Encyclopedia.

If you or anyone else - including this "expert" - want to know more about these subjects, IMHO my book "Suns of God" would be a very good place to start.

In SOG, there is more information regarding the mythical "baptist" motif, including its origins with the Babylonian fish/water god Oannes, which just happens to be "John" in English. In the case of Anubis/Anup, for those who have studied mythology it would not be "ridiculous" at all to compare the god who facilitates the transit into the afterlife - ruled by the god Osiris - with the forerunner (John) of the god of the afterlife named Jesus.

Despite these facts, the person comes back to repeat the error that the Anup material comes from Graves. Again, it comes from Massey, and despite this person's protestations, it took me all of five seconds to find the Anup the Baptizer data associated with Gerald Massey. The further complaint at the YT site regarding Massey and the volumes of pages associated with Anup is, as is also typical, shallow, because the first page that comes up during that search is Massey's Ancient Egypt: Light of the World, which contains many interesting and pertinent parallels between the Egyptian and Christian religions, including the following comparisons between Anubis/Anup and Ioannes/John:

Quote:
Anup, the Precursor of Horus = John, the forerunner of Jesus the Christ.
Anup, the Baptizer = John the Baptist.

As I state above, it is not at all "ridiculous" to see these parallels, especially if one has studied comparative religion in depth and recognizes how religious and mythical motifs are mutated as they are exchanged between cultures, to suit the locale and era in which they are being placed. We see many examples of this type of mutation/usurpation with Old Testament myths and characters, as well as within Christianity, such as with the Greek god Dionysus becoming the Christian saint Dennis. Are these two characters exactly the same? No, they are not, but that fact does not mean that Dennis is not a rehash of Dionysus. He is, but his character and myth have been changed to fit within Christian doctrine. The same can be said with the Egyptian mythos that Gerald Massey has so brilliantly brought to light: It was adapted in order to suit the Christian mythos, ritual, dogma and doctrine. Hence, John the Baptist does not have the same form as Anup the Baptizer, i.e., no jackal head. Nor are the Egyptian mythos and ritual neatly laid out in an ancient encyclopedia that we can find buried in King Tut's tomb. In fact, the data concerning the ancient Egyptian religion, for example, are scattered across thousands of texts that are still extant, as well as in allusions in other texts such as the writings of Diodorus. Much of the Egyptian religion has also been lost due not only to time but also to deliberate destruction by priests of competing religions such as Christianity.

Post subject: Horus and Isis-Meri
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

Horus and Isis-Meri

Over the centuries, a number of individuals have brought to attention the obvious correspondences between the Christian Madonna and Child and the images of the great goddess Isis holding and suckling her babe, Horus. There are many pre-Christian images of Isis in this "Madonna and Child" pose, and it has been asserted by not a few and quite logically that the Christian iconography is directly based upon this extremely popular Egyptian image.

Moreover, it has been asserted that the two Divine Mothers even shared the same name, with Jesus's mother named "Mary," of course, while Horus's mother possessed the epithet of "Meri." Aside from the fact that there have most definitely been pre-Christian goddesses named "Mari," such as on Cyprus (See, e.g., Robert Graves, White Goddess, p. 326, Farrar, Straus, Giroux, 1966), this epithet "Meri" in Egyptian simply means "beloved" or "delight," and it would quite likely have been applied many times to Isis at some point in the history of her long reverence by millions of people around the Mediterranean.

Indeed, in one of the epithets of a Ptolemy, we find a reference to "Horus, son of Isis, beloved." The word for "beloved" here is "meri." It is unclear exactly who is being called "beloved," Horus, Isis or the Ptolemy, but it certainly could be Isis, and, again, it is likely Isis was at some point or another described as "beloved" or meri.

In the cartouches of the Egyptian kings we also find a reference to "Kiseres, living forever, of Ptah and Isis beloved," the latter two words being "Auset meri," Auset, of course, meaning Isis.

Both Ra and Amen had the epithets attached to their names: Ra-Meri or Meri-Ra and Amen-Meri or Meri-Amen, meaning "beloved of Ra" or "beloved Ra" and "beloved of Amen" or "beloved Amen."

According to Charles Finch, Isis was called "the beloved of Horus," or Meri-f-u.

In The Contemporary Review under the entry for "Miriam" - the Jewish name for Mary - de Rouge says it is derived from "probably the Egyptian Meri-(t)," meaning, "beloved, a woman's name..." Since the name Miriam in Hebrew is said to mean "rebellion," this last point is debatable, as is frequently the case within the field of etymology.

As is also common with gods and goddesses, and especially in the Egyptian religion, gods and their epithets are frequently interchangeable with one another, representing the ultimate oneness expressed in ancient Egyptian spirituality. For example, from the Papyrus of Ani, in the chapter of the "Deification of the Members," we find the following: "The head of this Meri-Ra is the head of Horus... The eyes of this Meri-Ra are the eyes of the Great Lady," i.e., Isis. Thus, it could be said that Meri-Ra is equivalent to both Horus and Isis.

Furthermore, in the funereal archaeology of Egypt we do find the hyphenated epithet "Auset-meri," which is "Isis beloved."

Even Egypt itself is called Ta-Meri - "beloved land."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:06 am 
Site Admin

Isis and the Virgin Mary, et al.

Here is a quite a series of admissions by famed Egyptologist E.A. Wallis Budge, a sincere Christian.

Quote:
Among the various peoples by whom Isis is venerated must be mentioned those of Syria, who identified her with certain of their local goddess, and it is clear that early Christians bestowed some of her attributes upon the Virgin Mary. There is little doubt that in her character of the loving and protecting mother she appealed strongly to the imagination of all the Eastern peoples among whom her cult came, and that the pictures and sculptures wherein she is represented in the act of suckling her child Horus formed the foundation for the Christian figures and paintings of the Madonna and Child. Several of the incidents of the wanderings of the Virgin with the Child in Egypt as recorded in the Apocryphal Gospels reflect scenes in the life of Isis as described in the texts found on the Metternich Stele, and many of the attributes of Isis, the God-mother, the mother of Horus, and of Neith, the goddess of Sais, are identical with those of Mary the Mother of Christ. The writers of the Apocryphal Gospels intended to pay additional honour to Mary the Virgin by ascribing to her the attributes which up to the time of the advent of Christianity they had regarded as the peculiar property of Isis and Neith and other great indigenous goddesses, and if the parallels between the mythology history of Isis and Horus and the history of Mary and the Child be considered, it is difficult to see how they could possibly avoid perceiving in the teachings of Christianity reflections of the best and most spiritual doctrines of the Egyptian religion. The doctrine of partheno-genesis was well known in Egypt in connexion with the goddess Neith of Sais centuries before the birth of Christ; and the belief in the conception of Horus by Isis through the power given her by Thoth, the Intelligence or Mind of the God of the universe, and in the resurrection of the body and of everlasting life, is coeval with the beginnings of history in Egypt. We may note too in passing the probability that many of the heresies of the early Christian Church in Egypt were caused by the survival of ideas and beliefs connected with the old native gods which the converts to Christianity wished to adapt to their new creed.

Essentially what Budge is saying that is precisely what Massey, who based some of his work on Budge, also asserted: To wit, much of the Christian religion and tradition is a direct life from the Egyptian religion.

Budge states definitively that "partheno-genesis" - virgin birth - was known in Egypt centuries prior to the Christian era, specifically in connection with the goddess Neith. Neith is a prehistoric Egyptian goddess who gives birth to the sun god Ra, as Isis gives birth to the sun god Horus. In fact, Isis is a later form of Neith, the two combined as "Isis-Neith" or "Neith-Isis." Interestlingly, Budge names Neith and Isis as among the goddesses who are "names of the Sky, especially at sun-rise and sun-set." (Budge, A Guide to the First and Second Egyptian Rooms, p. 2 (1904))

Budge continues, by saying:

Quote:
The Sun has countless names, Ptah, Tmu, Ra, Horus, Khnemu, Sebek, Amen, etc.; and some of them, such as Osiris and Seker, are names of the Sun after he has set, or, in mythological language, has died and been buried.... All gods, as such, were absolutely equal in their might and in their divinity; but, mythologicall, Osiris might be said to be slain by his brother Set, the personification of Night, who, in his turn, was overthrown by Horus (the rising sun), the heir of Osiris. (Guide, pp. 2-3)

On p. 4, Budge also states that Ptah-Seker-Ausar - Osiris - equal the "triune god of the resurrection." Osiris is the son of Seb and Nut (p. 5) and the brother of Set. Concerning Osiris, Budge states:

Quote:
He became the type of eternal existence, and symbol of immortality; and as judge of the dead he was belived to exercise functions similar to those attributed to God. Through the sufferings and death of Osiris, the Egyptian hoped that his body might rise again in a transformed, glorified, and incorruptible shape, and the devotee appealed in prayer for eternal life to him who had conquered death and had become the king of the underworld through his victory and prayer.

The god of darkness, Set, is the opposite of not only Osiris but also Horus, who is both the sun god and the "son of Isis," the two being both separate and confused as one. (p. 6)

Demonstrating the interchangeability of Osiris and Horus, the four gods Amset, Hapi, Tuamutef and Qebhsennuf are the sons of either Horus or Osiris (p. 8).

Naturally, the Egyptians believed in a "future life," and described heaven thus:

Quote:
In heaven the beatified eat bread which never grows stale, and drink wine which grows not musty; they wear white apparel, and sit upon thrones among the gods who cluster round the tree of life near the lake in the Field of Peace; they wear the crowns which the gods give unto them, and no evil being or thing has any power to harm them in their new abode, where they will live with Ra for ever.

Note that the Hebrew word for "peace" is salem, as in Jeru-salem, the heavenly version of which is described in the book of Revelation (Rev. 21:2, 21:10)

Here we have validations of a number of germane assertions made by comparative mythologists, including Massey and me, by a respected, devout Christian Egyptologist.

Post subject: Horus and the Twelve
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Horus and the Twelve

As is the case with the other main characteristics of Horus that have been associated with Jesus, the claim that Horus had 12 "disciples" has been assailed because it cannot be easily found in encyclopedias, to which detractors run in their haste to find debunking material. It appears necessary to repeat continuously that searching through encyclopedias will not yield satisfactory results when it comes to "deep research," particularly since until lately most of the encyclopedias in English were written and edited by Christians who would hardly be keen on including obvious parallels to Christ in their various entries on gods and men.

Moreover, flipping through encyclopedias will not make an expert of anyone, so be wary when you read these hasty rebuttals from fervent believers - they are generally entirely inadequate, representing a cursory scan by those who are clearly not experts. They may sound impressive at first to the untrained eye, because many people won't even do the 10 minutes' work that these "experts" have put into their research. Nevertheless, with serious, time-consuming research digging into long-forgotten and buried archives, most if not all of these shallow encyclopedia-rebuttals can be put to rest, as demonstrated in my previous posts.

Again, the claim that Horus was never associated with 12 individuals, whether or not we call them "disciples," is another of these erroneous assertions based on encyclopedia-scanning.

In the first place, the association of Horus the sun god with "the Twelve" has been solidly demonstrated by a fairly recent find of a Horus temple with 12 rooms in the Sinai desert, as I discuss on p. 106 of Suns of God. Interestingly, the original article I read regarding this find years ago disappeared off the net, and I've been able to find no information about the temple since then. I still have the original article downloaded to my computer, however, and here it is:

Quote:
Temple of ancient Egyptian sun god found

CAIRO, May 31 (AFP) - Egyptian archeologists have discovered a 3,000-year-old temple honoring the Pharaonic-era sun God Horus, in the first such find in the northern Sinai, the antiquities authorities said Monday.

Black granite and sandstone statuettes of gods and people were found inside the temple which dates from the New Kingdom (1567-1065 BC), the Supreme Council of Antiquities said in a statement.

Horus, son of Isis and Osiris, is normally portrayed as a one-eyed falcon or sun-dial, but the council did not disclose which statuettes were found.

The temple, whose dry-stone walls are from four meters (13.2 meters) to 10 meters (33 feet) thick, spans a surface area of 2,400 square meters (25,824 square feet) and houses a dozen rooms, they added.

The discovery defines the location of Tharo, a fortified city built by the ancient Egyptians at the eastern entrance to the route armies took from Egypt to the land of Canaan.

In any event, the association of Horus with 12 gods does not begin or end with this temple find.

In The Gods of the Egyptians Or Studies in Egyptian Mythology (86), respected Christian Egyptologist E.A. Wallis Budge relates the following:

Quote:
In the text of Pepi II. (line 665), the gods who are declared to form "the Great Company of the gods who are in Annu" are:--1. Tem. 2. Shu. 3. Tefnut. 4. Seb. 5. Nut. 6. Osiris. 7. Isis. 8. Set..., and 9. Nephthys, and they are called the "offspring of Tem, who made wide his heart when he gave them birth in your name of 'Nine.'" A few lines lower down the king makes a petition to the "Great Company of the gods who are in Annu," and he includes in it the names of Tem, Shu, Tefnut, Seb, Nut, Osiris, Osiris-Khent-Amenti, Set of Ombos, Heru of Edfu, Ra, Khent-Maati, and Uatchet; thus the Great company of the gods of Heliopolis may contained either nine or twelve gods."

In reality, the configuration of 12 individuals, whether gods or men, can be found abundantly in Egyptian texts, as evidenced by the Book of Hades as well. In Records of the Past, vol. 10, Egyptologist Eugene Lefebure describes scenes from the tomb of Seti I:

Quote:
"D. Horus leaning upon a stick, and eleven gods walking towards Osiris, the inhabitant of the Amenti, upright upon a serpent, and shut into a naos with a cover. In the naos a mountain is pictured from which the god's head emerges. Before Osiris, an uraeus, the flame, and behind him twelve gods who are behind the naos..." (101)

"D. Horus with a hawk's head, leaning upon a long stick, and sixteen men called the Men, the Aamu, the Nahesu, and the Tamehu? Twelve personages carrying a long serpent, above which and behind each of them, except the last, is the hieroglyph of the duration, the bearers of the duration in the Amenti. Eight persons, the divine chiefs of Hades." (107)

"C. Five persons who bend towards an enormous ear of corn (those who labour at the harvest in the infernal plains). A bearer of a sickle with this inscription : these (are the reapers}. On the tomb of Rameses VI., the first persons are preceded by a god leaning on a staff, the master of joy; they are twelve in number, and there are seven reapers." (117)

This last "god leaning on a staff" is, as in the other scenes, Horus. Regarding these scenes, Massey remarks:

Quote:
The pictures show the children of Ra both as the group of twelve and also as the twelve with [it] Horus. In one scene Horus is depicted leaning on a staff, and eleven gods are walking towards Osiris. These are the twelve altogether, of whom Horus is one in presence of the fater. But on the tomb of Rameses the Sixth the twelve appear, preceded by Horus [it], the master of joy, leaning on his staff. These are the harvesters: seven of them are the reapers, the other five are collectors of the corn. (Massey, Ancient Egypt, p. 650)

As we can see, once again Gerald Massey's work has proved itself to be on solid ground.

Baedeker's Egypt: Handbook, p. 275, also describes scenes from the Tomb of Sethos I (Seti I) aka Belzoni's Tomb at Thebes:

Quote:
Room XIII.... On the Left Entrance Wall and the Left Wall appears the sun's journey during the 7th hour of night...

Middle Row. The sun god once more is shown in his boat, on the prow of which stands Isis, to drive away evil spirits with her spells.... Bottom row. Horus, before whom are the twelve star-gods who conduct the sun at night...

As we can see, Horus is firmly associated with 12 gods, who could be deemed his "helpers." The symbolism represents, of course, the sun with the 12 constellations of the Zodiac as "companions."

Post subject: Gerald Massey
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

Gerald Massey's Reliability

There is a great deal of misinformation online from the poorly informed about the brilliant self-taught lay scholar Gerald Massey, who famously wrote volumes about the comparisons between Christianity and the Egyptian religion. In the first place, Massey was raised a Protestant compelled to memorize entire sections of the Bible, so he was extremely knowledgeable about it.

Moreover, Massey was extremely careful about the sources he used in his works about Egypt and its relationship to Christianity. In his studies - which included learning the Egyptian hieroglyphs himself - Massey used the works of the translator of the Rosetta Stone, Champollion, as well as those by Dr. E.A. Wallis Budge and Sir Peter Le Page Renouf, both of whom were Keepers of the Egyptian Antiquities at the British Museum. Massey further studied the work of famed Egyptologist Sir William Flinders Petrie, and he also used the work of Sir Norman Lockyer, the famous royal astronomer who was friends with Budge and knew Egypt very well. Massey also studied the work of Reverend Archibald Sayce, professor of Comparative Philology at Oxford, as well as that of Sir James Frazer, although he did not agree with their conclusions. Massey further cited the work of Francois Lenormant, professor of Archaeology at the National Library of France whose father was also an archaeologist and Egyptologist.

He further relied HEAVILY on the work of Dr. Samuel Birch, who was a famous archaeologist Egyptologist and Keeper of the Department of Oriental Antiquities in the British Museum.

Dr. Birch was also the founder of the very prestigious and influential Society of Biblical Archaeology, to which belonged many notables in the fields of archaeology, Assyriology, Egyptology, etc. Much of this eye-opening work on comparative religion, in fact, emanated from this august body of erudite and credentialed individuals. Birch held many other titles and honors, including from Cambridge and Oxford Universities. His numerous works on Egypt are cited to this day in scholarly publications.

In the "Introduction" to his book Natural Genesis (p. viii), Massey wrote:

"The German Egyptologist, Herr Pietschmann...reviewed the 'Book of the Beginnings'... The writer has taken the precaution all through of getting his fundamental facts in Egyptology verified by one of the foremost of living authorities, Dr. Samuel Birch, to whom he returns his heartiest acknowledgements."

Obviously, Massey has been minimalized and vilified, probably because of his conclusions. He certainly was QUALIFIED and CAREFUL about his scholarship - talk about PEER REVIEW! And over his fairly long life and esteemed career, Massey gained such notoriety as to be in contact with, and addressed by, a number of these individuals, who truly represent the heyday of Egyptology. Unlike these erudite and credentialed "peers," who frequently came from wealthy, well-educated families who could afford education and who were highly connected into society's elite, Gerald Massey had no such privileges, born into abject poverty from which he barely escaped in adulthood, after slaving as a child-laborer in England's factories. In fact, Massey was so poor as he was growing up, virtually the only book he owned was the Bible, which he learned thoroughly. He also taught himself to read, as he received almost no formal education. Still, Gerald Massey was able to overcome all of these profound handicaps in order to become recognized widely within his lifetime.

It is evident that people just DO NOT KNOW what they are talking about when they vilify and dismiss Gerald Massey. In fact, those who are going about dismissing his work with commentary about him not being "reliable" have rarely read his works and do not know the extraordinary sources he did rely upon, such as Budge, Renouf, Sayce and Birch.

Contrary to the popular disparagement, which seems to be based purely on his conclusions that Christianity is a fictional rehash of the Egyptian religion, the work of Gerald Massey is HIGHLY reliable--and respectable.

Also, as concerns the Society of Biblical Archaeology, much of the work that Massey brought to light can be found in its journals and transcripts of meetings. For example, prior to Massey's great works on Egypt was published the work of the young scholar W.R. Cooper, in which he dared to reveal the comparisons between Christianity and the Egyptian religion. Budge himself followed suit with numerous eye-opening and startling statements about Christianity so resembling the Egyptian religion as to be its fulfillment!

It is obvious that during this era the discussion of the Egyptian religion upon Christianity was extremely popular and very important. What has happened since then, with the deliberate suppression of this material by ridiculing such brilliant and courageous men as Gerald Massey, is a travesty and an embarrassment to the modern educational system.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are [ DST ]