It is currently Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:36 am 
Bast

About two weeks ago the youtube user KeithTruth uploaded a video questioning Acharya's reliability... (http://www. youtube. com/watch ?v=XzqlpQEL3VI)

It was in regards to ... something said by a Pope, or that Acharya has portrayed him as saying, but according to Keith's source infact comes from a stage dialogue written in the 1600's.

He basically uses one little (from his POV) error to try and completely discredit Acharya's work.. I have to wonder, does he really expect that Acharya (or anyone else) is perfect?

We're all truth seekers.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:42 am 
Site Admin

As usual, Keith is unaware that it is old news, Acharya has had the info up on her website for years now.
Quote:
"What profit has not that fable of Christ brought us!"
--Pope Leo X

(As attributed by John Bale, Bishop of Ossory, in The Pageant of Popes, p. 179, 1574) http://www.truthbeknown.com/christ.htm

Quote:
His piety cannot truly be described as deep or spiritual, but that does not justify the continued repetition of his alleged remark: "How much we and our family have profited by the legend of Christ, is sufficiently evident to all ages." John Bale, the apostate English Carmelite, the first to give currency to these words in the time of Queen Elizabeth, was not even a contemporary of Leo.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09162a.htm

At this time we cannot find an earlier source but it doesn't mean that it didn't exist. It could've been destroyed after Bale used it.

Leo X, Pope 1513 – 1521 (1475 – 1521)

John Bale (1495-1563) Anglican Bishop of Ossory

Desiderius Erasmus (1455 – 1536)

Martin Luther (1483 – 1546)

"John Bale (if he knew) would not disclose Erasmus as a source (protection)."

http://www.christianism.com/supresearch/preface.html

Good thing Acharya's work doesn't stand or fall based on this one little thing.

Keep in mind that whether accurate or not the comment was attributed to Pope Leo X for many years and was cited as such in The Encyclopaedia Britannica

Cited in Forgery in Christianity By Joseph Wheless a few times

Also cited in, Jesus by Ian Curtis

And many others such as Barbara Walker, The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets

I believe that Acharya got it from checking Wheless, Walker and the encyclopedia. Some evidence could turn up demonstrating the comment by Pope Leo X as a legitimate comment at some point. Or maybe it has been destroyed - it's not something Christians would've allowed to survive.

Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection
2015 Astrotheology Calendar
Astrotheology Calendar Special
Stellar House Publishing at Youtube
The Mythicist Position

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:43 pm 
Apollo

Yeah - KT didn't even bother to check the site for the citation. Some researcher!

Also, fundies like KT like to claim that Christ Mysticism has only been popular for a couple of hundred years and yet he quotes a guy (going back 500 years) that shows that the Christ myth was well and truly alive back then.

And this piece of ignorance was posted as a comment on KT's video - hilarious!

amessenger4god: "Great work. The fallacies of Acharya S. have become too prevalent on the internet. People use him as a source without realizing he does not use sources himself.

I would like to point out, though, that Acharya S. is a actually a man (D.M. Murdock).

God bless and good work."

Has KT even bothered to correct this? No! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

Keith's video makes disparaging comments at around 2:23 ish saying
Quote:
"Acharya S feels as if she can, you know, deceive people and trick people..."

At around 2:36 ish Keith asks the question:
Quote:
"I'm just wondering why more people on the Zeitgeist side aren't, ya know, picking out these kinds of errors in the work if they're really, if they're really seeking truth and they're always telling us, 'do your research' well , we are. So, if you guys are doing the research too then, why aren't you showing everybody these errors?..."

As I check the Zeitgeist part 1 transcript page, there's not even one mention of Pope Leo X - http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/transcript.htm

So, this person, "Keith Truth" is making a video harassing a specific person for something that's not even in Zeitgeist. And, Keith makes demands for others to do research that Keith himself never does.

Regarding Keith's comment above accusing Acharya of deceit, I asked Acharya about that quote attributed to Pope Leo X and she said that she got it from Joseph Wheless who also didn't cite a source. Plus, the quote was found in so many books and therefore was so common that she didn't feel it necessary to cite. Which is usual in academia with commonly known quotes. For example, everyone has heard how Paul Revere supposedly said, "The British are coming..." typically nobody cites that alleged quote.

Moreover, accusing Acharya of making this up demonstrates the ignorance and lack of research on the part of Keith that would reveal that many people prior to Acharya had attributed the quote to Pope Leo X. For example:

The Encyclopaedia Britannica

Forgery in Christianity By Joseph Wheless

Jesus by Ian Curtis

Barbara Walker, The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets

Also, Acharya has had the info up on her website for years now...
Quote:
"What profit has not that fable of Christ brought us!"
--Pope Leo X

(As attributed by John Bale, Bishop of Ossory, in The Pageant of Popes, p. 179, 1574) http://www.truthbeknown.com/christ.htm

Acharya's work doesn't stand or fall based on this or any other one thing.

"Keith Truth" seems to be a person of very low I.Q., integrity, character and poor education. His videos demonstrate his own incompetence. He is not in the position to decide who is or isn't competent. He understands nothing of Acharya's works but he continues to harass her and attack her personally as his latest video targets Acharya once again probably because his last video smearing her got removed. Keith is trying to dismiss Acharya's entire body of work with something like this Leo quote when she isn't even the source. So, who exactly is trying to "deceive people and trick people"? Keith makes an egregious error for falsely accusing Acharya when a cursory investigation could've demonstrated she is not the source - that's very poor and very sloppy scholarship.

His videos inspire hatred toward Acharya S personally, a single female author which could lead to physical violence. Acharya S has done absolutely nothing to Keith or anyone else personally to warrant such harassment and abuse. Acharya's works address a variety of IDEOLOGIES - she does not attack individuals. Keith and others are specifically harassing Acharya S and they need to be called out for it by everyone including both theists and atheists for Keith's abuse and hate generating views that represent a biased, bigoted, fundamentalist brand of Christianity. Keith harasses, attacks and smears Acharya personally because he can't provide valid evidence substantiating the claims in the bible especially Jesus.

The Mythicist Position

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:00 am 
Isis

Brenton wrote:
About two weeks ago the youtube user KeithTruth uploaded a video questioning Acharya's reliability... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzqlpQEL3VI)

It was in regards to ... something said by a Pope, or that Acharya has portrayed him as saying, but according to Keith's source infact comes from a stage dialogue written in the 1600's.

He basically uses one little (from his POV) error to try and completely discredit Acharya's work.. I have to wonder, does he really expect that Acharya (or anyone else) is perfect?

We're all truth seekers.

Thoughts?

I thought I would just let you know that similar video post is featured at "Love for Life" (Arthur Cristian--duh! I know we ran into him on superconcious). Perpetuating the same misrepresentative chicanery:
loveforlife.com.au/node/63040

They just never give up...same specious arguments--different voices.[/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

It looks like Arthur Cristian just recently added that video which itself is old. And, I think it comes from Keith Truth so, that tells you all you need to know.

The Mythicist Position

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:10 pm 
Isis

Freethinkaluva22 wrote:
It looks like Arthur Cristian just recently added that video which itself is old. And, I think it comes from Keith Truth so, that tells you all you need to know.

At first I thought it did also, but the voices were different, tho the message was the same. It could be from the same Keith Truth outfit. Just wanted to inform the forum to beware, if they hit this site. Obviously, Cristian has a beef, because we wouldn't accept his cultish-like ramblings on other things.

I already told the person who sent me this, that I am not impressed with the latters' ramblings on their web, tho they may be moved by them. I would start to read and then shortly...delete...lol! This was before I got the email (and another different source) on the websites video postings. I won't bother you or Acharya with the rest. I just so much as told the emailer to pass on my thoughts about them.