It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:02 pm

All times are [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:02 am 
Site Admin

Hard to figure out what category to put this one into, as it unifies several, including comparative religion and myserious megaliths.

I just had part one of a three-part article entitled "In Search of Religion's Rosetta Stones" published in a very slick online magazine called The New Archaeology Review. In this article, I explore the connection between the many megaliths found around the world, archaeoastronomy and astrotheology. To my knowledge, no one else is working on developing the astrotheological aspect of these megaliths, although there is increasing talk about the many astronomical alignments that are now commonly accepted to accompany these ruins. There has always been, of course, talk about the sites themselves as having religious significance, but associating them directly with astrotheology has not been done much in the modern era, at least not in regard to the more recent finds.

If you read the article, you will see what I mean. (Arggh, yes, that typo "hundreds" in the very first sentence was in the original, not caught by the editor. I seldom have any of my work edited, but proofreading by someone else would be helpful!)

In Search of Religion's Rosetta Stones

Today we are in a very exciting period of the relatively new science of archaeology, which has only been in serious development in the modern era for the past couple hundreds years. I say "modern" because it is clear that in ancient times some members of society were as fascinated with the human past as they are today, setting up, for example, remarkable museums and libraries to rival our own. In any event, perhaps it would not be unfair to state that we moderns are just now catching up to our ancestors in some of our scientific capacities, such that we can peer more clearly into our own captivating past. One of the areas in which we are slowly but surely uncovering our amazing roots is the science of archaeoastronomy, or "the study of the knowledge, interpretations, and practices of ancient cultures regarding celestial objects or phenomena," which reveals that many ancient societies were not composed of the barbaric cavemen commonly depicted but possessed astoundingly advanced scientific capabilities. Of course, anyone who has studied the Great Pyramid for even a short while cannot doubt the accuracy of that statement, as concerns the engineering abilities of the people who built it. In addition to such an astonishing building capacity came knowledge of the heavens and earth that even by our supposedly sophisticated standards of today is impressive. I am referring specifically to the astronomical alignments of the world's megalithic ruins, as well as other edifices, structures and sites found around the globe dating back hundreds to many thousands of years. Along with this very profound ancient knowledge of astronomy comes an equally profound, if mystifying, religious development also appearing worldwide. It is to this ancient religion or astrotheology that I would like to turn the reader's attention. It is my conviction that one cannot understand the world's major religions without placing them firmly within their astrotheological context. Devoid of the astrotheological underpinnings, these religions are all shadowy fallacies, no matter how hard one tries to make sense otherwise of them or how much falsified history is attached to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:43 am 
Hermes

How did the ancient know about stars and planets that can't be seen with the naked eye......without the aid of a telescope? They knew a lot more than we give them credit for.

If you've ever had a real astrology chart done, you'd find the the accuracy is astounding. How did the ancients figure this system out? Is our solar system alive - like a cell with the sun as a nucleus??

We may have some technical superiority, but spiritually we are vastly inferior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for writing that article Acharya. It boggles the mind that folks at National Geographic etc, etc haven't created a documentary on this subject. I sense a monumental vaccum in this area. I'd like to see a petition of sorts created politely asking/demanding such documentaries be done.

Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection
2015 Astrotheology Calendar
Astrotheology Calendar Special
Stellar House Publishing at Youtube
The Mythicist Position

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:49 am 
Thor

Hi, glad to be here. Just found this forum from truthbeknown. Just started reading SOG after hearing Acharya along with Robert Price on the Infidel show. I must say, Acharya, it is not often that I pick up a book and am confronted with a whole new science I never heard of before.

Astrotheology is a stroke of genius. My spell-checker didn’t even know about it. I find it a fascinating area for discussion and exploration. Also, I don’t think I ever considered that there obviously were primitive men with high IQ’s, and what the ramifications of that would be.

I am just beginning to study in your areas of expertise, although I read “Christ Conspiracy” some time ago. I’m looking forward to some stimulating discussions here.
Quote:
It boggles the mind that folks at National Geographic etc, etc haven't created a documentary on this subject.

I wonder what the chances would be that a documentary exposing the worlds major religions as nothing more than modern mythology derived from ancient astronomers would ever see air time. 'Fraid not! Today, in this country, we're lucky to get an honest treatment of evolution on the air. A debunking of religion? Never!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:14 pm 
Site Admin

HampsteadPete wrote:
Hi, glad to be here. Just found this forum from truthbeknown. Just started reading SOG after hearing Acharya along with Robert Price on the Infidel show. I must say, Acharya, it is not often that I pick up a book and am confronted with a whole new science I never heard of before.

Astrotheology is a stroke of genius. My spell-checker didn’t even know about it. I find it a fascinating area for discussion and exploration. Also, I don’t think I ever considered that there obviously were primitive men with high IQ’s, and what the ramifications of that would be.

I am just beginning to study in your areas of expertise, although I read “Christ Conspiracy” some time ago. I’m looking forward to some stimulating discussions here.
Quote:
It boggles the mind that folks at National Geographic etc, etc haven't created a documentary on this subject.

I wonder what the chances would be that a documentary exposing the worlds major religions as nothing more than modern mythology derived from ancient astronomers would ever see air time. 'Fraid not! Today, in this country, we're lucky to get an honest treatment of evolution on the air. A debunking of religion? Never!

Hi there, HP! Nice to have you on board, and thanks for the close reading of SoG. I can't take credit for the term or science of astrotheology, of course, but perhaps I am helping to repopularize it and expose to a wider audience what it signifies. Obviously, I am entirely convinced that the larger picture painted by the astrotheological perspective is correct: To wit, that the ancients worshipped or at least esteemed nature in general but widely and specifically the sun, moon, stars, earth, planets, constellations and other celestial bodies. The ruins being found or restudied worldwide serve as serious evidence or even proof of that assertion. (Although I have noted that there are those who will even deny the astronomical alignments suggested by modern archaeologists.)

If you haven't read the subject of this post, which is my recent article "In Search of Religion's Rosetta Stones," please check it out! Parts 2 and 3 will be coming in the next issues of The New Archaeology Review.

BTW, I couldn't find a direct link to that publication, as far as I could tell, doing a cursory search. However, I did find this interesting website: Archaeological News.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:57 pm 
Thor

I followed your link to the article & read it. Enjoyed it, but have been immersed in SoG for the last three days. That is really a fine peice of work! I have read many of the works you cite, but there are a few I have ordered for further study, including "On the True Doctrine..."

This often happens when I read something that fires the imagination. One thing leads to another, and I find myself with another shelf of books, wondering where the hell they came from.

You seemed to really like Doherty's work. So did I, and so did Carrier, if you caught the long interview on God Who Wasn't There.

I often wish there was a way to distill all of this history down to a pamphlet that could be easily distributed in the schools, especially here in the south. If we could just reach the next generation before they turn them into mindless clones. Perhaps we can take heart from this article:

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20060912/24428.htm

I became active a few years ago when the creationists started trying to push ID into the schools. After several months of trying to argue scientific principles to folks who couldn't understand what I was saying, I decided to embark upon a course of study with the goal of being able to intelligently address the root cause of the problem - the Christian religion itself.

Along the way, I read End of Faith & got involved in the EOF forum. I learned a lot there, and many of the posters are learning from, and teaching from your work. What the hell, I'm only sixty, I can be a pain-in-the-ass for at least another twenty years, if I don't go nuts and shoot somebody.

Again, glad to be here.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:20 am 
Site Admin

HampsteadPete wrote:
...I often wish there was a way to distill all of this history down to a pamphlet that could be easily distributed in the schools, especially here in the south....

Along the way, I read End of Faith & got involved in the EOF forum. I learned a lot there, and many of the posters are learning from, and teaching from your work. What the hell, I'm only sixty, I can be a pain-in-the-ass for at least another twenty years, if I don't go nuts and shoot somebody.

Again, glad to be here.

Pete

From your hand to the Goddess's eyes that you will live at least another 20 years! :shock: Well, hopefully not to be involved in a shooting in either direction. :cry:

Re the pamphlet, well, don't tell anyone :roll: but I'm currently working on a new booklet that will be downloadable - an ebook - that people have been asking me to write for years: A primer on Christianity, shall we say, for devout Christians. This will be much shorter and easier to pass along to others. From there, perhaps, we can create an even smaller version, such as a pamphlet.

In the meantime, I had no idea that people were discussing my work on Sam Harris's forum, which I didn't realize existed. I don't see any traffic coming from there. Or, perhaps, you meant something else? In any event, it would be a lovely thought, as I sometimes think I'm sitting around twiddling my thumbs! Goodness, things move slowly on this planet. And we surely don't live long enough to see much satisfactory change!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:41 am 
Thor

http://www.samharris.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1974

This is a link to one discussion - your work has popped up on several different threads. This one contains posts from one of our resident theists. I didn't contribute much to this one, I reviewed the book in an earlier thread.

I will review SoG on Sams forum as soon as I finish and have have a chance to digest it. Can't wait for the ebook. I am re-doing my web site (www.hampsteadpete.com) to be less evolution and more informative about Christian roots, and perhaps I could link to your ebook.

If you cared to post on Sams site, it would create a heck of a stir, BTW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

Nice work HampsteadPete. It's great to have you here.

I did send Sam an e-mail with a link for "Suns of God" & asked for a review but he has been busy. I think that the work of Harris & Acharya compliments each other.

I did the same with R. Carrier but later read his book "Sense & Goodness" & regretted asking for his review on the work of Acharya. I found it odd that Carrier would mention the solar system & mythology etc in his book but refuse to talk about solar mythology or astrotheology etc. He plays is so safe in his book that I really didn't enjoy it that much. I enjoy his views on naturalism but, his book leaves a lot to be desired, for me. I get the sense that he has a grudge against Acharya.

Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection
2015 Astrotheology Calendar
Astrotheology Calendar Special
Stellar House Publishing at Youtube
The Mythicist Position

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

HampsteadPete wrote:
http://www.samharris.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1974

This is a link to one discussion - your work has popped up on several different threads. This one contains posts from one of our resident theists. I didn't contribute much to this one, I reviewed the book in an earlier thread.

I will review SoG on Sams forum as soon as I finish and have have a chance to digest it. Can't wait for the ebook. I am re-doing my web site (www.hampsteadpete.com) to be less evolution and more informative about Christian roots, and perhaps I could link to your ebook.

If you cared to post on Sams site, it would create a heck of a stir, BTW.

Thanks! I really appreciate you doing that, and I look forward to your review of SoG. I do believe it is sorely underrated at this point...

As concerns the forum, well, I might do that at some point down the road. I get a bit weary of sticking my neck out and having people beat on me, so I'm a tad gunshy right now. I usually bounce back after a while, full of my usual pugnaciousness.

:twisted:

All times are [ DST ]